Thursday, December 10, 2009

My dear Ischler, how could I forget you?

I was reading a book a while back about Hungarian and European coffee house cultures in the 50's. (See, I firmly believe I should have been born back then, but that is for another post.) I read about this Austrian pastry chef, Ischler, and a light-bulb went off in my head: " Wait a minute, I remember eating Ischlers, growing up!" Frantic search, followed by the victorius " I got it" shout: I found the recipe for it.
For those who are not familiar with Ischler, it is a very filling and addicting "cookie." Two rich walnut butter cookies held together by raspberry marmalade and glazed with my homemade chocolate ganache. It is luxurious, yet simple.  I made Ischler right away and we had it for dessert that night. 
I will never forget my first bite...brought back all my childhood memories: my mom taking us to a coffee house in Budapest. We nibbled on our Ischlers while she was enjoying her espresso...I will never forget.


1 comment:

  1. My mother used to eat those too!! I think it was orange marmellade though! Not sure if that was the same! YUMMY!!! I would probably love yours better, since I LOVE anything with berries!!

    ReplyDelete